Saturday, November 28, 2009

Serendipity and the Wine Connoisseur

I do not think I will ever outgrow Serendipity. It will always make me want to believe in destiny, in true love, and in really, really, really attractive couples. Ice, whom I caught with mammoth tears in his eyes at least twice during the movie, describes it as the perfect rom-com. I do not think I will object to that.

On a side note, Ice also observed that in some angles, Beckinsale looks remarkably like Eva Longoria. What a disgrace! It broke my heart to see what he meant. Sadly, it cannot be denied that he speaks the truth. One of Hollywood's most beautiful faces is now, at least in my eyes, forever marred. She will no longer be the perfect creature I once deemed her to be.

Tomorrow, we will watch Rope and Notting Hill. I think I have very good reason to believe that I am one of the very few people who has yet to see the latter. I fervently hope that it lives up to all the hype it caused years ago, and the overwhelming influence it continues to have today (especially on Philippine cinema and advertising).

Have I told you about my weird thing about movies? I almost never watch a blockbuster film, or at least not during the era it was premiered. I don't know why exactly, I just never understood the urge of people to go to the movie house in throngs because they "simply must watch the film right away." Name a blockbuster and I bet you I haven't seen it. Spiderman, Superman, Batman, and all the rest of the superhero movies, for starters. Oh, an epiphany: I think that maybe this is because I have the same philosophy toward movies as connoisseurs do with wine. Maybe I think they get better with age, and so I wait. That's a sophisticated way of explaining things. :)

1 comment:

eismeister said...

Obliqueness is the imagination's fancy. :)