Thursday, November 12, 2009

Clarise, meet Roald.

So today I read Roald Dahl's The Twits and Esio Trot. Tomorrow I think I'll read Matilda and Witches. And then some Geronimo Stiltons. Now there is an unexplored path, children's literature.

And my English. I have to practice speaking in kid English. Note to self: Refrain from using "perhaps," "so as to," "otherwise," etcetera. Sentences have to be as simple as ever can be. What a daunting task. I expect my vocabulary to deteriorate, and fast.

The other night, I came home dead tired and burdened with emotions. Usually, when I'm like that, what I do is I write. I'm usually fairly articulate when it comes to writing about my feelings, but somehow, that night, all that came out was the poem in the previous entry. My emotions have learned a new language, apparently-- kid speak! One day with Shel Silverstein and my painfully-acquired vocabulary (all those hours spent with the thesaurus!) is down the drain.

Oh well.

***

Yesterday my very pretty student told me, "You are a nice teacher!" Oh that made my day.

Last week I overheard a little boy tell his teacher, "Teacher, when the other teacher (ahem, me) comes out of the washroom, you won't be my teacher anymore. I like her. She'll be my new teacher." That was awkward, I admit, but nonetheless very cute!

Last, last week, a student from the baby class threw a fit at dismissal time. She was crying so hard, refusing to go home. She insisted on staying with Teacher Clarise, you see! The next day, she made me carry her all throughout the class. From then on, whenever she would cry, I would call her to me and she would sit on my lap, appeased. Oh what cuteness!

That same week, a girl from another class demanded that I sit beside her all the time. Whenever she would notice that I am someplace else, she would loudly say in a singsong voice, "Someone's not sitting beside me!"

I hope to never forget these. :)