Saturday, November 14, 2009

That's Entertainment

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
-- Rick, Casablanca (1942)

"Old movies always make me cry."


My love affair with old movies started when I was very young. I do not know exactly how this came to be, but even now it holds me a most willing captive. There is just something about an old movie that is undeniably magical and compelling. There is just something about it that breaks the heart. Je ne sais quoi.

For a film major, I was never the prolific movie watcher. What shame. You can rely on me to be perfectly clueless about contemporary cinema. It is a disgrace, I tell you. Nonetheless, when it comes to oldies, oh boy, have I seen a lot of those! And I do not mean important films like Fellini's or Bunuel's. No, I will not even attempt to dignify my brand of cinephilia. I love formulas-- sappy, simple, predictable, and yet magically, to this girl, still very new.

No comments: