Monday, November 23, 2009

Around 2 hours of Summer

I received a text from a very upset MM the other day. She refuses to believe that I do not think 500 Days of Summer, which seems to be everyone's current favorite film, a work of art. How dare I dismiss a movie she thinks equals Woody Allen's genius? What was I thinking?

Allow me to explain.

The identity theory of communication tells us that we like a medium, say a film, because it mirrors our own experiences. Given this, let's just say that 500 Days of Summer was not a big hit with me because no matter how hard I try, I just cannot identify with any of the characters. Let's just leave it at that. Let us not attempt to explore the possibility that it is simply a poorly made film lest I further provoke my sister's feelings of resentment. And anyway, I actually rather appreciate the director's efforts to model it after Jean Pierre Jeunet's works, which, of course, are simply spectacular. 500 Days could not find a better role model, I think. So there.

I guess I have nothing to blame for this feeling of discontent but my age. I fear I am getting to old for this kind of things. Another simple joy gone. I am starting to really understand the Little Prince.

1 comment:

eismeister said...

I second the motion. :)