Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Man Who Knew Too Much

"You have muddled everything from the start, taking that child with you from Marrakesh. Don't you realize that Americans dislike having their children stolen?"
-- The Ambassador,
The Man Who Knew Too Much


The Hitchcock Movie Marathon begins!

For opening weekend, Ice and I watched The Man Who Knew Too Much. Actually, our first choice for this- ahem- momentous event was Shadow of a Doubt, which the master of suspense himself regarded as his best film. This bit of trivia rendered us curious-- Ice was curious a normal amount, I was bordering on hysteria. We thought it the perfect movie to start off our little marathon. Nevertheless, due to a technical difficulty, we had to settle for The Man. I say "settle" because while the fact that it is a James Stewart starrer made it very promising, I was less enthusiastic about his leading lady, Doris Day, whom I think annoyingly bouncy. I mean, don't you?

Anyway, Doris Day or no Doris Day, The Man is just wonderful. I was at the edge of my seat all two hours of the film. Indeed, Hitchcock never disappoints! No other filmmaker can send my heart racing the way he does. I love everything about his movies. I love how every single detail in a Hitchcock movie is important-- nothing is there just because, everything has a purpose. I love guessing how every character's every little movement, and how every seemingly nonsensical prop will figure in the almost absurd puzzle. Such attention to detail can only come from a man so dedicated to his craft. I admire Hitchcock for his passion, most of all. I think he draws his remarkable genius from that.

What about next week? I am dying to introduce Ice to Rope, my favorite Hitchcock film of all time. I cannot, cannot wait! That movie is just amazing. Amazing, I tell you. Amazing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Noooo ... I don't find Doris Day annoyingly bouncy. She's played a variety of roles, bouncy and non. And when I first discovered her, her uplifting, positive persona was to me, a breath of fresh air. I don't think that many people agree with you about her being annoying. To this date, Ms Day is the number one female box office attraction in movie history, not to mention her brilliant recording career.

Clarise Sarmenta said...

Oh I'm sure you're right, otherwise she would not have been the big star we have come to know today. What I said was simply my opinion, a matter of personal taste. Thank you for sharing yours. :)

eismeister said...

I agree with moon river.