Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Like lightning

It happened this afternoon. I was preparing my students' worksheets and art projects for the day when it suddenly dawned on me. For the first time since I dared embark upon this strange new career, I felt like a teacher.

Wow, I am a teacher. Who would have thought? I actually have little kids calling me Teacher Clarise. And parents and yayas too. I teach kids how to read jam, sam, dam, and ram. We read The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Last week, we made paper snowmen.

Woohoo! :)

***

I was reading Blaise Pascal's pensees to my younger brother this evening. Nico, who is naturally extremely inquisitive, got very curious about the renowned philosopher/mathematician. I soon found him in front of the computer, doing research. His eyebrows were knitted. He looked very serious.

Here is what we found out: Apparently, Mr. Pascal's computing machine was not a commercial success-- only 50 units of it were sold, and most were used not for arithmetic but as conversation pieces for the living room. I imagine they looked very complicated (and, well, therefore esoteric), kind of like our era's "modern art installations." :)

2 comments:

Ivee said...

Teacher Clarise! That must be a fun job with all the makulit kids. (^o^) But I'm sure it is also tough and requires a lot of patience. (^_~)

Clarise Sarmenta said...

Hehe Ivee, yep it's so much fun! Makakalimutan mo na mababa yung pay kasi the kids are super cute. :)