Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Aspirator

I have been slave to the sniffles for several days now. In the car on my way to work this afternoon, I blew my nose for the thousandth time, and blood started pouring out copiously. Ice the hypochondriac dragged me to the doctor.

At first, I was very reluctant because, well, who goes to the doctor for a sniffle-induced nose bleed? The doctor, busy with real patients with their real concerns, might just send me away, I feared. Nonetheless, the check-up turned out to be quite useful. I learned something new about myself. Apparently, I, Clarise Ng, 25 years old, do not know how to blow my nose. The kind doctor took a peek inside my nostrils and found my poor blood vessels either utterly destroyed or in a fragile state caused by too many years of improper nose-blowing. The doctor's prescription? An aspirator-- that small plastic pump used to relieve babies of a stuffy nose. Somewhat apologetically, she referred me to the department store's infant section.

I guess, like dancing and math (and getting some sleep before the sun rises this morning), blowing my nose is just one of those things I can never do no matter how hard I try. :p

2 comments:

Kristine Pinky said...

Really? I was an asthmatic kid and I had nosebleeds all the time.

The doctor chalked it up to very fragile capillaries. He didn't recommend any aspirator thingy. I'm jealous.

Don't worry, you're not the only one who can't blow their nose properly. :)

Clarise Sarmenta said...

Haha Kristine, that is a comfort! :P I hope you don't get asthma and nosebleed attacks anymore, now that you're a lady. :)