Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Amateur

I am going to be a preschool teacher. Finally, finally. I have been dreaming about this moment since I was just about 11, and now that it is finally here, all I am feeling is this numbing fear. No excitement, not even the tiniest tinge of joy for the mission accomplished. All that came to mind when they offered me the position was the thousand and one very cogent reasons why I cannot possibly do this. How can I? No one could be more ill-suited for this job, really. When I went to the school this afternoon for my interview, a boy of around 3 or 4 was there. He looked at me, and I stuck my tongue out at him. I stuck my tongue out at the harmless little boy. He ignored me, of course. Obviously, I am not to be taken seriously.

God willing. God willing.

No comments: