Saturday, October 10, 2009

Edith

The extraordinarily-gifted Edith Wharton wrote most of her short stories and novels during her travels. She wrote while aboard the ship to and fro her destinations, and for a great deal every day of her trips. Everyday she wrote. She so fervently believed that this was her life's purpose that she wrote literally until the day she died. I think this is why she traveled so much: so that she could have something to write about. It is no wonder she authored such wonderful works; she had so much to draw from.

How I wish I could do the same.

You see, it has occurred to me only now that in all my twenty-five years in this world, I have never truly written for myself. To be sure, I have written numerous things for school, and still some more for work. But now that I think about it, I do not think I have ever written for myself. Realizing this unfortunate fact, I was hoping to begin doing so now. However, I find myself hopelessly at a loss for a topic. What would you like to write, anyhow, Clarise? A short story? A novel? An essay? A poem, perhaps? And what about?

I honestly do not know.

No comments: