Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My girl Sam

My former student Sam sent me a Christmas present last week. When I tore open the wrapping paper, I could not help but squeal in glee. She had given me a "Pride and Prejudice" magnetic board and it was out of this world quirky. When I propped it on the floor alongside my books, it looked like it truly belonged there that I could not help but wonder why I took so long to own it.

The present was special most of all because it came from Sam, who was one of my sweetest and smartest students, and whose passion for writing and literature brought me so much joy last year. It was inevitably arduous and heart-wrenching, saying good bye to my students and seeing them off to college, and so when I tore open the present last week, what I saw first and foremost was her friendship, and it was beautiful.




No comments: