Thursday, August 19, 2010

From a dream

Watercolor


I painted this house from a dream I had, something which I thought I had long forgotten, and I only recognized it when it was finished and Ice pointed it out to me.

*

Last Saturday, we went to an antique shop somewhere in Quezon City that we have come to love. The shop had a massive collection of odds and ends (they sold everything from old Le Divorce and Cary Grant VHS tapes to floor-to-ceiling glass windows, tiles, and hot tubs), and almost everything was dirt cheap. We went there in search for a nice coffee table that could pass for French, and a purple chandelier for my friend, but to no avail. Instead, we found ourselves carrying a green glass candle holder home. The candle holder was quite romantic, I bought a pale turquoise candle that smelled of white lilies just for it and I thought they looked lovely together. When I started writing this, I was going to describe the candle holder as "crystal," but I suddenly realized that I did not quite know what that word meant. Apparently, this is crystal:

n.

1.
1. A homogenous solid formed by a repeating, three-dimensional pattern of atoms, ions, or molecules and having fixed distances between constituent parts.
2. The unit cell of such a pattern.
2. A mineral, especially a transparent form of quartz, having a crystalline structure, often characterized by external planar faces.
3.
1. A natural or synthetic crystalline material having piezoelectric or semiconducting properties.
2. An electronic device, such as an oscillator or detector, using such a material.
4.
1. A high-quality, clear, colorless glass.
2. An object, especially a vessel or ornament, made of such glass.
3. Such objects considered as a group.
5. A clear glass or plastic protective cover for the face of a watch or clock.
6. Slang. A stimulant drug, usually methamphetamine, in its powdered form.


I'm still not sure if my new candle holder is crystal, but I'm sure that I like it very much because it's green.

No comments: