Sunday, December 8, 2013

Holiday

Graduate school has been especially difficult and demanding lately that I find myself spending more and more time with Marx, Barthes, and Williams than I would like. The work weeks are strenuous, leaving me gasping for air. I spent Friday and Saturday night wrestling with cultural theories, and Sunday morning, too. While I love learning intensely, I find myself increasingly stressed as I am pressured to somehow do the impossible-- be, all at the same time, an excellent teacher and student. I try to extend the day, staying up extra late and waking up extra early, to get everything done. The day is still never enough, somehow.

But Cholo, amidst all the work, gives me welcome interludes. He whisks me away from schoolwork and to mini holidays, only for a couple of hours at a time, but they always, always do the trick. Always, I emerge feeling like I can do everything again. I am given strength to read one more article and create  one more presentation. When I'm done and I feel drained and helpless again, he whisks me away once more. He never tires, somehow.

This is how I am certain that everything will be okay.


Lavender tea, inspiriting face mask, and sparkly gold nail polish to rejuvenate


Ever reliable cupcakes by Sonja


That dainty teacup and saucer set at the Sunday market



No comments: