Thursday, October 4, 2012

In writing class

Our writing class met one last time last night. Our instructor is Mr. Ruel de Vera, a prolific writer who has a number of books and awards under his belt but teaches the weekly class like it is the most important thing in the world.

And so last night was our last night, and while every week he spoke with ebullience and nostalgia, last night his speech was even more impassioned. He was saying his farewell, perhaps. He talked about each student and the student's writing and about how it affected him. He looked forward to reading the student's every paper, he said, and to learning about what it says about the person. I remember thinking, that while I admire him immensely as a writer, I look up to him as a teacher, most of all. I hope to be as invested in my every student, and to be as confident in what he can do and interested in the stories he has to say.

Towards the end of the class he said that I was the best writer in the group, and when he said it I was close to tears. After the class he talked to me and encouraged me to continue writing and to make sure I look for opportunities to write.

That was the best thing that I have heard in a while. :)

No comments: