Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Acrylic paint

For my birthday, my former student and little sister Zia gave me art materials: tubes of acrylic paint, a canvas, a sketchbook, and even a wooden palette. She knew I liked to make things. Last Saturday, I finally unwrapped her presents and spent the afternoon painting. It was wonderful to be able to use acrylic again. I have been using watercolor for a couple of years now because I adored how easy watercolor paintings are to make and how fast they dry. For a couple of years, almost every week, I sat down with my watercolor pad and my tubes of paint and brushes and pot of water and, for about an hour and never more, I painted away. After about an hour and never more, I was done with my picture and it felt wonderful, my prolificacy. Last Saturday, when I used acrylic paint again and, when I was finally done, found that four long hours have passed, I realized how I missed acrylic paint and its tedium and unhurriedness. Sometimes, it is good to wait.


No comments: