Friday, February 10, 2012

Berkeley

This is US1 Berkeley, my advisory class and first ever, too, and whom I do not love enough. Barely a month is left in the school year and I have yet to love them truly.



One of them, Kiel, the one in the racing outfit, is painfully shy. He rarely speaks up and when he does, he does so softly, but is always with a smile. For almost an entire school year he has been my charge, but for almost an entire school year I have not been able to let him know that even though when I ask him how he is and he tells me he is fine I smile like one who is satisfied, I know what he has been going through at home and at school and at everything else. I did not want to pry. Yesterday I decided that I will talk to them, one by one, and when I asked who would like to go first, he raised his hand. Outside their classroom we sat on the floor and I asked him if he will not mind if I tell him the truth that I know something about him and he nodded and then he talked about everything. As I listened and nodded and hugged him as he talked away in that quiet way he does, I wondered if he had been wanting to talk to me about everything for almost an entire school year now, too.

*
More recent watercolors


No comments: