Saturday, May 22, 2010

We call it odious

Blame it on my shelteredness and innocence (and therefore on my stupidity) but I choose to be adamant in my belief that, more often than not, what we suspect as unctuousness and forced familiarity could very well be just friendliness- sincere, well-meant, and wholehearted friendliness- pure and simple. I wonder about this intense aversion to congenial behavior. I wonder about this inclination to think the worst in people. A smile too many or too eager, or a story a tad too revealing for our comfort, and a person is suddenly a social pariah. This is exasperating! Not everyone is out to get us; some people are actually quite decent. Some people actually mean well. Why, then, do we put up a defense so impenetrable, so unforgiving, so fatal? Why do we refuse to let anybody in without a fight?

Why does mankind choose to persecute itself?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad how people have succumb to a lot of social constructions that have made us too paranoid and afraid of love.

I enjoyed this food for thought Clarise and I'm glad to see you writing again!

Clarise Sarmenta said...

That is beautiful, what you said, sir. i couldn't have put it in a better way. :)

You're very welcome, Sir randy! And thank you! :)