Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Chandelier

The chandelier had been waiting for us for a week now. When we finally dropped by the antique shop this afternoon, its sockets have been altered to accommodate energy-saving light bulbs, and its crystal drops have been stripped of several layers of dust. It glistened in the daylight. My heart surged with excitement; I could already picture it hanging from our ceiling, luminous, sparkling.

A bigger antique shop recommended by Ice's colleague was just a few blocks away. On our way home, we decided to take a look. We looked at chandeliers. We asked how much the nicer ones cost, and then, whenever a saleslady replied, we would furtively throw each other smiles of victory-- our chandelier's a steal. "I could give you a discount," they would hastily say as we started to walk away. "Thank you very much, but no. We're just looking."

I have to say, I never enjoyed window-shopping more.

:)

No comments: